Lesson Plan: Adapted Physical Education – Volleyball with Balloons
By the end of this lesson, students with adapted physical education needs will be able to demonstrate basic volleyball skills, including serving, bumping, and setting, using balloons as a modification. They will follow along with a video tutorial to learn these skills and participate in a modified volleyball game using balloons.
- Inflated balloons (enough for each student)
- Volleyball net (or a makeshift net using cones or markers)
- Video tutorial demonstrating volleyball skills
- Music player and upbeat music
- Scoreboard or whiteboard for keeping score
Duration: 45-60 minutes
Warm-up (10 minutes):
- Begin with a short warm-up activity to get students’ bodies moving. Lead the group in light stretching and jogging in place.
Introduction (5 minutes):
- Gather the students and introduce the lesson’s objectives: to learn basic volleyball skills and enjoy a modified game of volleyball with balloons.
- Explain that they will be following along with a video tutorial to learn these skills and practice them with balloons.
Video Tutorial (15 minutes):
- Hand out one balloon per student
- Play the video tutorial that demonstrates volleyball skills such as serving, bumping, and setting.
- Encourage students to follow along with the video and mimic the movements and techniques they see.
- Pause the video at various points to clarify instructions or highlight key points.
Skill Practice (10 minutes):
- Divide the class into smaller groups or pairs, depending on the number of students and available space.
- Have each group practice serving, bumping, and setting the balloon to each other, following the techniques demonstrated in the video.
- Walk around and provide individualized assistance and encouragement as needed.
Modified Game: Volleyball Clean Your Room (15-20 minutes):
- Set up a net in the center of the gym or play area using cones or markers. I highly recommend the Boulder Net
- Divide the students into two teams, one on each side of the net.
- Explain the rules of the game, following the previous instructions:
- Each team must serve, bump, and set the balloon over the net to the other side.
- The objective is to keep the balloon in the air and send it over the net.
- Stop the game periodically (e.g., every 2 minutes) using a whistle.
- Count the number of balloons on each side to award a point to the team with fewer balloons on their side.
- Rotate serving positions after each whistle.
- Play upbeat music during the game to keep the energy level high.
Wrap-up (5 minutes):
- Gather the students and discuss what they learned during the lesson.
- Ask students about their favorite parts of the lesson and if they have any questions or concerns.
- Praise their efforts and teamwork.
Assessment will be based on students’ active participation, their ability to perform basic volleyball skills with balloons while following the video tutorial, and their teamwork during the modified game.
Make necessary adaptations for students with different abilities, including using larger balloons for students with limited motor skills, providing additional support or equipment (leaf blower), or modifying the game rules to fit individual needs. Use GIFs for extra visual.
Ensure that the playing area is free of obstacles to prevent accidents. Keep a close eye on students during the game to ensure their safety.