Grade Level: Middle School (6th-8th grade)
Duration: 60 minutes
- Students will understand the importance of cardiovascular endurance for overall fitness.
- Students will engage in activities to improve cardiovascular endurance.
- Projector and screen for videos
- Laptop or tablet for video playback
- Pacer test equipment (cones, audio recording)
- Stopwatch or timer
Introduction (10 minutes):
- Begin with a dynamic warm-up activity to raise students’ heart rates.
- Introduce the concept of cardiovascular endurance, explaining that it’s the ability of the heart and lungs to supply oxygen to the muscles during prolonged physical activity.
- Discuss the importance of cardiovascular endurance for overall health and fitness.
Video 1: The P.E. Chef Explains Cardiovascular Endurance (5 minutes):
- Show an educational video featuring the “P.E. Chef” explaining the concept of cardiovascular endurance, its benefits, and why it’s important. The video should be engaging and informative.
Video 2: The Pacer Test Demonstration (10 minutes):
- Play a video demonstrating the Pacer test, also known as the Progressive Aerobic Cardiovascular Endurance Run. Explain that this test measures cardiovascular endurance by having students run back and forth between cones to a set cadence.
- Go over the rules and expectations for the Pacer test, including proper pacing and form.
Whole Group Activity – Pacer Test (15 minutes):
- Set up the Pacer test course in a safe and clear area. Use cones to mark the distance. Get the below ready to use as visual aide.
- Instruct students to line up at the starting line. Start the audio recording for the Pacer test, and have students run back and forth between the cones, keeping pace with the audio cues.
- Students continue running until they are unable to maintain the required pace or until they voluntarily stop.
- Record each student’s score to track their progress over time.
Cool Down and Reflection (5 minutes):
- Lead the class through a cool-down activity, such as slow jogging and static stretching.
- Ask students to reflect on their Pacer test experience and what they learned about the importance of cardiovascular endurance.
- Assign students to research and write a short paragraph about a famous athlete known for their exceptional cardiovascular endurance and how they train to achieve it.
- Assess students’ Pacer test performance and improvement over time.
- Reflection responses from students.
Note: Ensure that students are adequately warmed up before the Pacer test and emphasize the importance of pacing themselves to prevent overexertion. Provide modifications for students with different fitness levels or special needs, as necessary.