The COVID-19 pandemic dramatically changed education, forcing teachers to rapidly adapt to remote and online instruction. This included physical education and adapted physical education (APE) teachers who faced numerous hurdles in engaging and supporting their students virtually. However, as described in a recent article published in Palaestra by Adam S. Forbes, a doctoral student at the University of Virginia, and Matthew J. Barker, an adapted P.E. teacher in Fairfax County, Virginia, the pandemic also created some positive outcomes for APE teachers surrounding technology use and collaboration. The article argues that moving forward, APE teachers should continue leveraging technology resources like Google Sites and Google Forms to enhance their teaching practices and provide flexibility in supporting students’ needs.
Download Your Own
Streamline your adapted PE teaching with customizable Google Site and Forms templates. The Site template helps you organize schedules, lessons, data and more in one place. The Forms template provides goal tracking and data collection sheets to integrate into your Site. Use the buttons below to download these time-saving templates and edit them for your needs.
Google Site How To
- The COVID-19 pandemic transformed education, including adapted physical education (APE), posing challenges but also driving increased technology usage.
- Questions remain about the lasting impacts on education and APE. APE teachers should be ready to support students in all settings.
- They should utilize technology resources and develop competence with different instructional approaches to aid students.
- The article discusses how APE teachers can use Google Sites and Forms for responsibilities like organizing materials and tracking IEP data.
- Templates are provided to customize for teaching needs and sharing with families, but caution is advised around maintaining student privacy.
- As schools enter a post-pandemic period, APE teachers should persist in exploring technology to assist students and hone effective practices.