Adaptive Training Academy (ATA) was established in 2012 by adaptive fitness community leaders to provide a solution to the challenges people with disabilities face in attempting to train fitness and maintain healthy lives. They use a collaborative network approach to access the knowledge and experience of experts and specialists from around the world to advise ATA so that they can create educational resources, events, and experiences to advance the accessibility and inclusion of adaptive fitness and health. They believe in EMPOWERMENT through EDUCATION!
AIT CERTIFICATION COURSE OVERVIEW
The certification course is delivered in a live, two-day seminar format and two options for online formats (4-Week Guided Cohort | Self-Paced).
All formats provide an assessment-based certification of education that is a comprehensive overview in the specialty of adaptive fitness methodology, safety and risk mitigation, and program implementation.
Graduates of the certification course will earn the knowledge and practice the principles that will enable them to conduct fitness training and improve health for people with disabilities and maintain an inclusive setting.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is intended for fitness trainers, adapted physical educators, sport team coaches, medical professionals, and persons with disabilities.
The course education is designed to be used in a group training setting but may be applied to any fitness methodology. ATA teaches how to adapt and maintain an inclusive workout format using a generalized workout plan. Social interaction and community support are essential elements to inclusion and are the basis for the course education.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
– Approximately 16 hours of research-based education
– Access to AIT certification exam and Certificate upon completion
– Course Workbook
– ATA Adapting Template
– *Certification exam preparation
– Continuing Education (CE, CEU, etc.) Documentation
– Access to affiliation program, grant funding, and exclusive mentorship options
*not included for Self-Paced Course
CERTIFICATE & CONTINUING EDUCATION
Graduates will earn their Adaptive & Inclusive Trainer certification and professional continuing education units (CEUs). For more information on our CEU program, please visit this CEU info page.
- ATRA Recreational Therapists: Pre-Approved 0.70 CEUs
- APTA Physical Therapists: Pre-Approved 16 (seminar), 12 (Cohort), 8 (Self-Paced) CEUs
- CrossFit: Pre-Approved 16 (seminar), 12 (Cohort), 8 (Self-Paced) CEUs
*for all course formats
- Disability Awareness & Language
- Adaptive Equipment
- Principles of Adaptive & Inclusive Training
- Adaptive & Inclusive Workout Programming (in-person and virtual)
- Adapting Methodology
- Upper Extremity Impairments: Safety & Training Considerations + Exercise Adaptations
- Lower Extremity Impairments: Safety & Training Considerations + Exercise Adaptations
- Seated Impairments: Safety & Training Considerations + Exercise Adaptations
- Sensory Impairments: Safety & Training Considerations + Exercise Adaptations
- Intellectual Disabilities: Safety & Training Considerations + Exercise Adaptations
- Neuromuscular Conditions: Safety & Training Considerations + Exercise Adaptations
- Common Impairments Awareness (Neuromuscular, Spinal Cord Injuries, Brain Injuries, Vision, D/deaf and HOH, Short Stature, Intellectual Disabilities)
- Facility & Program Accessibility
- Inclusive Onboarding
Click below to see where you can take this course
Note from Matt
I took this course a few years back and it was really insightful and gave me some good ideas for modifications, especially for my middle and high school students who are working out in the gym.